The Board of Directors is responsible for all financial, personnel and legal issues facing this organization. Under its existing governing structure, the Board of Directors seeks recommendations from the Youth Advisory Board and actively works to support the activities of all its Chapters and regional offices. Since 1988, CYC has grown into a statewide organization with three regional offices, more than 29 county-based chapters with more than 450 statewide members.
Youth Board Members
Youth board members must be between the age of 18 and 24 and should be able to commit to attend quarterly meetings at CYC’s statewide office located in Emeryville California and be available to participate in monthly conference calls. Board members must also be prepared to serve on at least one Board sub-committee. Board members are required to make a two year commitment.
If you or another member of your organization is interested in applying to join the CYC Board of Directors, please complete our Board application. Applications are available to be submitted year round, but applicants are only selected once a year.
- Travel, board and meals are provided for youth board members, upon request; assistance can be extended after they have aged out.
- Youth Board Members are unable to participate in CYC Programs and services in the same capacity as a member. Please request policies for more details on the shift in role between a member and a youth board member.
Desired Skills, Experience, and Characteristics
Strong applicants should have:
- A track record of being committed to the needs and concerns of current and former foster youth.
- A track record that demonstrates an ability to think strategically and creatively about the best ways to increase membership.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Willingness to commit to fundraising for the organization.
- Skills in public speaking, interpersonal communication, advocating for the best interest of the members, time management, networking and representing the organization to stakeholders.
- Ability to identify areas of improvement and commit to develop and improve those areas during your tenure.
- At least two years of youth leadership experience.
- At least one year of being an active member of a CYC chapter.
To that end, we are soliciting applications from energetic young people from diverse life experiences who would like to join the Board of Directors of an established nonprofit that operates on both a grassroots and legislative policy level.
Reach out to Erica Hickey at firstname.lastname@example.org or Gail Yen at email@example.com