GET INVOLVED IN THE CAMPAIGN
Current/Former Foster Youth:
- Write a letter of support for AB2247 (Gipson) to the Governor to encourage him to sign the bill: The Honorable Edmund G. Brown, Jr., Governor, State of California, California State Capitol, Sacramento, CA 95814
- Share this flyer or hang it in your office to raise awareness.
- Donate to CYC to help us sustain the education, awareness, and movement.
CYC’s Priority Bill: AB2247 (Gipson)
AB2247 by Assemblymember Gipson seeks to do the following:
- Declare the intent of the Legislature that no child or youth should experience abrupt placement changes.
- Defines abrupt placement changes as any moves that are considered unplanned, without justifiable cause, and without proper transition services fully available to a young person.
- Outlines a placement preservation plan and procedure that includes interventions such as conflict resolution and mediation.
- Outlines a process, that, *IF* a placement change must occur (in the best interest of young person) the placement change should occur with utmost respect, consideration, and in a youth-centered way.
- Outlines a process in which a placement change shall NEVER OCCUR i.e. In the middle of the night, with no other placement secured, or if educational status is lost.
- Develops a process in which the child or youth can access the CA State FC Ombudsman to have the account of the placement change documented and added to their case file. If a discrepancy of account occurs, the FC may launch an investigation.
CYC’s 2017/18 Legislative & Policy Committee
Kayln Jones, Chris Hernandez, Miguel, Katarina Kabick, Quijai Johnson, Kayla Bailey, Kayla Corder, Ricardo Ortega, Gina Nguyen, Genesis Osuna.
IN THE NEWS
Watch as AB2247 passes out of the Senate Human Services Committee after powerful testimony by CYC members Quijai and Katarina!