The #FosterStability Campaign is a youth-led effort to create a
process for stability in all aspects of their lives:
Stability in wellness and health
Stability in relationships & lifelong connections
Stability in services that are youth-centered, give agency, and are relevant to each youth.
Stability in placement
Stability in education and extracurricular activities
We will create a system that honors and nourishes the mind, body, and soul of every child and youth impacted by California’s foster care system.
GET INVOLVED IN THE CAMPAIGN
Current/Former Foster Youth:
- Submit a black & white photo of how many placements you experienced in care (positive or negative)
- Take this survey: #FOSTERSTABILITY SURVEY
- Write a letter to the CA State Legislature why this matters: Template Here
CYC’s Priority Bill: AB2247(Gipson)
AB2247 by Assemblyman Gipson seeks to do the following:
- Declare the intent of the Legislature that no child or youth should experience abrupt placement changes.
- Defines abrupt placement changes as any moves that are considered unplanned, without justifiable cause, and without proper transition services fully available to a young person.
- Outlines a placement preservation plan and procedure that includes interventions such as conflict resolution and mediation.
- Outlines a process, that, *IF* a placement change must occur (in the best interest of young person) the placement change should occur with utmost respect, consideration, and in a youth-centered way.
- Outlines a process in which a placement change shall NEVER OCCUR i.e. In the middle of the night, with no other placement secured, or if educational status is lost.
- Develops a process in which the child or youth can access the CA State FC Ombudsman to have the account of the placement change documented and added to their case file. If a discrepancy of account occurs, the FC may launch an investigation.
CYC’s 2017/18 Legislative & Policy Committee
Kayln Jones, Chris Hernandez, Miguel, Katarina Kabick, Quijai Johnson, Kayla Bailey, Kayla Corder, Ricardo Ortega, Gina Nguyen, Genesis Osuna.
IN THE NEWS:
Watch as AB2247 passes out of the Senate Human Services Committee after powerful testimony by CYC members Quijai and Katarina!